Picture of Victoria Rey
Week 1 Assignment: Instructional
by Victoria Rey - Sunday, January 31, 2016, 7:39 PM

Instructional: Idea # 1: Design instruction so that students engage in routine practice in internalizing and applying the concepts they are learning (and in evaluating their understanding of each). An instructional Design on Teaching Students to Use Context Clues in Figuring Out Word Meanings 1. Explain the techniques of using context clues to get the meanings of unknown words in a sentence. Context clues are surrounding words to the unfamiliar word that help a reader to figure out its meaning. 2. Show examples of each technique of using context clues. Ask questions based on the examples. 3. Allow students to apply techniques of context clues on given sentences and paragraphs. 4. Call on students to give answers. Ask them to explain the reason for the answer. If there are different answers, ask them which answer makes the most sense and the reason. 5. Give students follow-up practice on the use of context clues. Tell them to review their answers to ensure that it makes sense. Tell them to work in groups and compare and contrast their answers. If there are differences, they should decide on the best answer. 6. Review answers with the whole class. Ask them for reasons of given answers. 7. Assign students to read a given essay. Ask them to figure out and to write the meanings of underlined words. They must not copy the meanings of the words from a dictionary. Tell them that as they review their answers, identify the basis of their answers. Substitute the word in place of the unfamiliar word. Does the meaning complete the sense of the sentence? 8. The following day, review with students the answers. Call students to give answers. Ask students if they agree with given answers. Tell students to give their reasons for agreeing and disagreeing. Allow them to use these words in sentences. Idea # 2: Teach students how to assess their reading. 1. Hand students a copy of an article on how to determine any significant difference between test and survey results of students in the experimental and control groups. Let them read the article. 2. Show two sample students’ responses. Ask them which one is better? Why? 3. Explain to students that they can assess their comprehension during and after reading. Go over the article that is mentioned in the first direction (Step 1) and demonstrate the techniques and show how to answer the questions below. During and after reading, answers to the following questions will determine if they understand what they are reading. a. Who or what are we talking about in the first sentence? What is being said about it? Make a picture in your mind of the sense of the sentence or break the sentence into thought units if you have difficulty answering the questions. b. Can you use your own words to summarize the sentence orally and silently in your mind? c. Answer questions a and b on the next sentence. d. What is the connection between sentences 1 and 2? e. Continue to answer questions a and b in sentence 3 and the rest of sentences in the paragraph. f. Do you sense a flow of ideas from one sentence to the other in the whole paragraph? g. Repeat answering questions and following directions a – f in the rest of the paragraphs. h. Do you sense the connections of ideas in one paragraph to the other? i. After reading the whole article, what did you get out it? What is the main point? What are the details to the point? Write or recite your answers using mostly your own words. j. Compare and contrast your responses with the information in the article. 4. Give students another short article and allow them to apply the techniques and answer questions during and after reading. About Myself - Victoria Rey Instructional I am Victoria Rey, Associate Professor at Kean University, Union, New Jersey. I am taking this course because I would like to know more about critical thinking, the degree of my critical thinking skills, ways to evaluate my thinking according to acceptable standards and ways to improve my thinking in order to benefit myself, my students, my loved ones and the people that I encounter. I hope to get answers that address what I would like to know that are stated in the preceding sentence.

Picture of Paul Bankes
Re: Week 1 Assignment: Instructional
by Paul Bankes - Tuesday, February 2, 2016, 5:33 PM

Glad to have you with us for this course.  Is Paulian critical thinking something new to Kean University?  New to you?